This house was completely remodelled in 1825 by George Basevi (1794-1845, a pupil of Soane). Basevi also worked on Gatcombe and Painswick House. He died when he fell through the floor of the belfry at Ely Cathedral. This house had been further extended in the late Victorian era, with bedroom accommodation over a billiard room and further pantries and stores occupying the stable yard. We demolished much of the later excrescences and formed a lightwell over the new kitchen by removing the bedroom above.
At first floor level the landing was opened up and 7/8 facsimiles of the columns in the ground floor hall were introduced. The cupola over the main stair had been expeditiously replaced with a garden greenhouse. We recreated it by extending the sawn-off mullions, and by working from a contemporary watercolour of the house.